Monday, April 2, 2012

Dolly Parton 'Shattered' When 'I Will Always Love You' Played at Whitney Houston's Funeral

Dolly Parton
Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images

Dolly Parton and Whitney Houston will undoubtedly remain connected through their smash hit song I Will Always Love You, written by Parton and performed by Houston. But according to the country crooner, that connection runs much deeper.

The song was played during Houstons funeral service in February, which was broadcast live from coast to coast, leaving Parton feeling shattered.

PHOTOS: Whitney Houston's Funeral

[It] just shattered me to hear that song played under those conditions, Parton said during an interview with ABCs Nightline to air Wednesday. I thought my heart was gonna stop. It just pierced me like a knife. Its just -- I cant explain that feeling, to think that that was so final for her, and that that was my words and my feeing -- I would forever be so connected to her.

As The Hollywood Reporter previously reported, Parton has pocketed more than $70,000 in royalties since Houstons Feb. 11 death. I Will Always Love You was downloaded 195,000 times in the week following Houstons death and played 2,137 times on the U.S. radio during the weekend of her death.

PHOTOS: Iconic Singer Whitney Houston's Life and Career in Pictures

I really did feel like that song belongs to all of us, Parton said of Houston, Kevin Costner and composer David Foster, who rearranged Partons original version for their film, The Bodyguard.

Parton recalled the history of her iconic song, written in 1972 for her late duet and business partner Porter Wagoner. At the time, the two were fighting about Parton leaving his syndicated TV show to pursue a solo career. The track was later re-recorded for the 1982 film The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas with Burt Reynolds.

When Whitney did I Will Always Love You, I mean look what a grand song she made out of that simple, heartfelt, you know, song it was just amazing, she said. Whitney is the one who took it worldwide and really made it a household word or song, I should say so Ill always be thankful to her for that.

Partons interview will air in full on Wednesday, April 4, at 11:35 p.m on ABC. The singer is currently promoting her latest project, a two-disc DVD and CD set titled An Evening With Dolly Live.


0 comments:

Post a Comment