Friday, July 27, 2012

TCA 2012: Andre Braugher, Shawn Ryan Talk Diversity on TV

Last Resort ABC TCA Tour - H 2012
Getty Images

Andre Braugher who stars in ABCs Shawn Ryan/Karl Gajdusek military drama Last Resort humorously and thoughtfully deflected questions about a perceived white wash in primetime television.

I dont have a lot of information on which to judge the world in which theres a white Andre Braugher who did better than I did, he said to laughs from media reporters gathered for the final session of ABCs TCA day. And I dont mean to be factious about it. But youre talking about a complex world in which people make decisions on a real-time basis.

PHOTOS: The Scene at TCA's Summer Press Tour 2012: Day 4

Braugher won a lead actor Emmy in 1998 for the NBC series Homicide.

In the future things will continue to progress, he continued. I think its a complex question that Im not equipped to answer in great detail.

Ryan who also cast Dennis Haysbert in CBS drama The Unit allowed that he makes casting decisions based on merit, not skin color.

I wanted the best actor for the role, he said. I try to be as color blind as possible. Networks want people to watch their shows and a lot goes into who the audience is. I just dont concern myself with that. I concern myself with how good can the show be? Who wouldnt want [Braugher] saying their words. Ive done my part, I think.

In Last Resort, Braugher stars opposite Scott Speedman as a U.S. submarine captain who goes rogue after he uncovers a home-grown conspiracy to annihilate Pakistan.

STORY: TCA 2012 ABC Recap: 'Modern Family' Still M.I.A., But There's Always Bristol Palin

It will be nice when these questions dont get asked anymore, said Ryan. But unfortunately were not up to that point now. But it feels like were better off than we were 15, 20 years ago.

Added Braugher: I really cant tell you what the world would be like if people were different. Its part of a progression and it runs at its own pace. Im part of the long arc of progress in which people of different races and ethnicities get a chance to shine.

Email: Marisa.Guthrie@thr.com; Twitter: @MarisaGuthrie


0 comments:

Post a Comment