Saturday, April 21, 2012

'American Idol's' Colton Dixon on Why He 'Hated' Comparisons to Phillip Phillips

Colton Dixon Portrait P
Nino Munoz / FOX
Colton Dixon

Colton Dixons elimination on Thursday nights American Idol results show was a huge shock to everyone except one person: Dixon.

The spiky-haired Season 11 hearthrob said that he had nobody to blame but himself. Dixon spoke candidly with reporters about his ouster.

It all happened so fast, he said, citing his decision to perform Lady Gaga as the biggest misstep of his season, propelling him to the bottom three for the first time and subsequently out the door.

PHOTOS: 'American Idol' Season 11: Top 13 Finalists

I think by choosing Bad Romance, I turned off a lot of those voters, which are my core voters, he said. I got caught up in the musicality and performance this week instead of what it should've been, which is the connection to a song that I normally bring every week.

He also claimed that he was misrepresented in a post-performance interview when he said he didnt care about the judges' comments.

I was kind of disappointed, for one, with TV editing, but again, I mean, I said it. I was disappointed in that. That's definitely not who I am, and that struck me the wrong way, he said. "Especially with song choice, I've taken pride in knowing who I am, and really taking a stance in my faith.

He defended his version of Earth Wind and Fires September, noting that scaling down the uptempo number to a ballad properly showcased who he is as a performer.

I was frustrated after I did September. They tell me to be true to who I am, and they love the way I change up a song, and yet they didn't like September,' which I thought I did to a T to who I am, that was a little frustrating, he said. "But at the same time, it didn't show off a lot of vocals, and the range wasn't crazy. I understand it form a vocal competition stand point.

PHOTOS: 'American Idol Live' Tour In Pictures

Dixon said that although he is disappointed with the way things turned out, the show will definitely go on. As a matter of fact, the song he intended to perform for next weeks Queen theme would have been The Show Must Go On.

I think that would've been an awesome song, I love the way Moulin Rouge did it. That would have been such a fun song, I would've had a choir, I was totally excited about it. I hate that I'm not going to get to do it, but that would've been a lot of fun, he said.

Additionally, Dixon disagrees with Jimmy Iovines assessment that the female voting block of Idol voters were split between himself and Phillip Phillips.

I don't think we were necessarily split. I don't think it was either you were a Phillip fan or a Colton fan. The demographic for voters are the same for a lot of us. I hated when Jimmy compared us that way, but Phillip is phenomenal at what he does, he said. I'm happy he stayed, he's fantastic, and I'm excited to see what he does on the show and excited to see what he does with Queen. I don't think it was necessary split. I know a lot of my fans are Phillip Phillips fans too, so it's going to be cool to see how all of this unwinds.

When asked about his online fan support -- notably season four champion Carrie Underwood, who tweeted a message of encouragement Thursday night -- Dixon referenced an interview with THRs Idol Worship.

I haven't seen them through Twitter, but during an interview last night afterwards, someone told me what she had wrote, said the humble Dixon. I just want to say thanks, she has done so well since American Idol, and I love that she doesn't shy away from her faith either, so it's nice to see someone doing what I want to do away from the show, give me good encouragement. It was amazing to see that, and I really do appreciate it.

In the future, Dixon said he plans to record a Christian music, and he is open to a duet with his sister, Schyler. He is also open to trying a career trajectory similar to Switchfoot, where he can exist in both the secular and Christian worlds of music.

He cited an example of touring with Paramore or Daughtry, while sliding into churches along the way delivering the message.

I am a Christian and I am not going to shy away from it, he said.


0 comments:

Post a Comment