Monday, April 16, 2012

'The Voice' Performers Explain Their Song Strategies for Quarterfinals

The Voice Jesse Campbell Episodic
NBC

The Voice quarterfinals start Monday and the stakes are getting pretty high. Not only does each team have only four members left, but NBC recently announced that one person from each team will go home instantly after Mondays performances.

PHOTOS: 'The Voice' Contestants Volunteer at L.A. Food Bank

Coaches Christina Aguilera and Blake Shelton will be the first to have to make that very difficult decision on Monday and then the following week Adam Levine and Cee Lo Green will have to make a similar cut.

The Hollywood Reporter dropped in on Team Christina and Team Blake during rehearsals and they revealed what their strategies are going into quarterfinals. They fall into two categories: Those who are hoping to show something new to the audience and those who want to stick with what has worked for them in the past.

Take a look at what they revealed below.

Performers who are trying something new:

Jesse Campbell, Team Christina: Its going to be a performance thats different from any other experience that Ive done. You will probably not expect a man to sing what will be sung. So, Im excited about it.

PHOTOS: 'The Voice' Teams: Season 2's Performers

Ashley De La Rosa, Team Christina: My first two songs were both big, powerful rock songs. This next one is a little softer, more intimate definitely and more emotionally driven than beat-driven. And I think thats going to be very refreshing for the audience and I like that. I think we picked a good one.

Chris Mann, Team Christina: We just want to show some diversity. So far Ive done three basically stand and sing ballads, which I love to do that and thats sort of my comfort zone. But, we got to show a different side of me, which Im excited about. So, this week Im going to do a performance piece and work the stage and use every inch of it and get the crowd involved -- things that make me a little scared. But when the moment happens, I know it will be awesome.

Erin Willett, Team Blake: Ive done a lot of throwback Motown stuff. This time I get to do something contemporary that people are listening to right now. Im kind of nervous, because when you do something contemporary its easily comparable. But, Im glad to do something that shows I can do something that is now and I can do something in this industry and I can be an artist thats successful.

STORY: 'The Voice's' Cee Lo Green on Live Show Performances: 'I Was Just a Little Disappointed'

Performers who are doing what they know:

Jermaine Paul, Team Blake: Im so excited about this weeks performance. Its something that Ive been wanting to do for so long. Its something that can really exhibit great lyrical content and raw emotion without the belting, without the hard singing, without the lights and the bells and the whistles, smoke and mirrors. Its just really singing from the heart and starting from a quiet place and where it needs to go.

Lindsey Pavao, Team Christina: I think were getting to a stage in the competition where people are starting to get to know us and its important to be sincere. This next song is about self-expression and sincerity. Its still an artistic rendition of the song and its very different from the original, but I think it was very important that this time it wasnt about a show or anything like that. Its just how I feel.

RaeLynn, Team Blake: Just get ready for country. Im not going to take a pop song and make it country. I did that the first week to show that I can do that. Im going to do a well known country song from last year if youre a country fan, youll know this song. If youre not, youll love this song too. So, its going to be really cool. Its rock-country.

STORY: 'The Voice' Results Show: Four Contestants Eliminated After Second Week of Live Shows

Jordis Unga, Team Blake: Because I was able to sing Wild Horses as my last chance song last week and I was able to show a different side of my voice, that really sort of steered the direction of my performance next week. You can call me a rocker, I get that, its fair, but for me Im so much more of a storyteller. I love that aspect of music.

Whose strategies do you agree or disagree with? Who do you predict will go home Monday night?

The Voicequarterfinals airs at 8 p.m. Monday, and the results show airs Tuesday at 9 p.m. on NBC.

Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter:@TheRealJethro


0 comments:

Post a Comment