Sunday, August 26, 2012

Emmys 2012: Choreographer Travis Wall on the Differences at 'Dancing With the Stars'

Travis Wall Step Up Revolution Premiere - P 2012
Getty Images

After years of watching Travis Wall compete on and choreograph So You Think You Can Dance, fans are seeing a different side of the 24-year-old with a new Oxygen reality show, All the Right Moves. Two of his co-stars and partners, Teddy Forance and Nick Lazzarini, recently joined him in coming up with a massive ensemble number on ABC's Dancing With the Stars, which earned Wall his second Emmy nomination in as many years.

The Hollywood Reporter: Do you approach a Dancing With the Stars routine differently than you would one on So You Think You Can Dance?
Wall:
For this, I was dancing with my best friend for our dance company. You get to bring in people from your own crew, just people that you work with all the time. Usually what I would do on Dancing With the Stars is a lot harder than what I would do on So You Think You Can Dance because of the caliber of talent I'm working with.

PHOTOS: Emmys 2012: 'Mad Men,' 'Downton Abbey' and More Nominees

THR: How different is collaborative choreography?
Wall:
There are more cooks in the kitchen. It's just cool because it's the dance company, Shaping Sound, that was nominated, and then our first television performance got nominated. It was great last year when I was alone, but it's cooler when you can share it with your friends.

THR: Choreographers are a small community in Hollywood.
Wall: I've known Stacey Tookey for a very long time. I used to take her class, and she's a key mentor of mine. Obviously, I love dancing with her. I've known Spencer Liff from New York. And I know Chris Scott from films like Step Up Revolution and The LXD: The Legion of Extraordinary Dancers. I've never met the choreographer for Smash [Joshua Bergasse], but I'm such a huge fan of his work. What he did on that show is amazing.

THR: A few So You Think You Can Dance alums have become pros on Dancing With the Stars. Did that ever hold any interest for you?
Wall: God, no! Dancing With the Stars is all ballroom, and I've never been a ballroom dancer. That's not in the cards!

0 comments:

Post a Comment