Saturday, May 19, 2012

'Community's' Dan Harmon on the Shakeup at the Show: 'I Got Fired'

Dan Harmon
"Community" creator Dan Harmon

"I got fired."

Those words came from Community creator Dan Harmon, who took to his Tumblr page to outline the facts of his employment status Friday. The explanation follows a round of news reports earlier that evening that confirmed Harmon was being replaced as showrunner of his Sony-produced showby David Guarascio and Moses Port. As part of the move, Harmon was said to be demoted to a consulting producer on the low-rated critical darling.

PHOTOS: NBC's 2012-13 Season: 'Revolution,' 'The New Normal' and 'Go On'

But the famously outspoken creator balks at the new title, noting that providing the latter is a "standard protective clause" for someone in his position. "Guys like me cant actually just be shot and left in a ditch by Skynet, were still allowed to have a title on the things we create and 'help out,' like, I guess sharpening pencils and stuff," wrote Harmon, whose voice is so much a part of the quirky show,which recently was renewed for a fourth season.

Days earlier, NBC entertainment chief Bob Greenblatt suggested that Harmon's status on the series was, indeed, in flux.I expect Dans voice to be a part of this show somehow; Im just not sure if that means him running it day-to-day or consulting on it," Greenblatt said during a conference call with reporters May 13.He declined to elaborate, though rumors of Harmon's erratic behavior are long-running and well known.

VIDEOS: PaleyFest 2012: 'Community' Red Carpet Interviews

In his entry, entitled Hey, Did I Miss Anything?, Harmon insisted the latter was a misquote. "I think he meant to say hes sure cookies are yummy, because hes never called me once in the entire duration of his employment at NBC. He didnt call me to say he was starting to work there, he didnt call me to say I was no longer working there, and he definitely didnt call to ask if I was going to be involved," he wrote. "Im not saying its wrong for him to have bigger fish to fry, Im just saying, NBC is not a credible source of All News Dan Harmon."

STORY: 'Community' Taps David Guarascio and Moses Port as New Showrunners

To hear him tell it, the executives at Sony did not inform him of the shakeup either. "They literally havent called me since the season four pickup, so their reasons for replacing me are clearly none of my business," added Harmon, who garnereda great deal of media attention earlier this year when he leaked an unflattering voicemail from series starChevy Chase. "Community is their property, I only own 10 percent of it, and I kind of dont want to hear what their complaints are because Im sure it would hurt my feelings even more now that Id be listening for free." The studio declined comment; the network did not immediately return request for comment.

Email: Lacey.Rose@THR.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose


0 comments:

Post a Comment